FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
I get this question a lot and the truth is that every boat I offer to my clients has earned their spot on the Don Chingon Team, by proving the highest standard of quality customer service as well as fishing ability and skill over the last several years!
All of my boats and crews all fish the same style, same techniques and the same spots and do their best to find the fish. If you prefer a certain style of fishing like trolling, bottom fishing, live bait, jigging etc… please just add it in the special requests section at the time of checkout.
So when choosing which boat, it really just comes down to your group size and what size/style boat that you prefer. Just be aware of the max capacity listed for each boat and whichever boat appeals to you the most, just book that boat and I promise you will have a good time!
Please note that Captain Travis does go on some of the trips but due to high demand, he is not always available.
There are two ways to make a reservation to secure your charter.
1. Easily book your trip on the website. The boat calendars have Real-Time availability, which just means that if the boat is available for the day you want, you will be able to book it. If it’s not available, you won’t be able to book it and will need to choose another day or time slot.. There is a small booking fee when booking online.
2. To avoid paying the booking fee and to get all your questions answered, I’m always available to take a call. Or just send me your phone number and tell me when a good time to call is. Travis cell phone +52 998-187-1937
Each boat is located at a different marina in the Cancun area. All boats are centrally located and usually take anywhere from 5 min to 30 min drive depending on where you are staying. Click the “Learn More” button on the boat you are interested in and you will be directed to a detailed page with more info and a google map link and address of the Marina where the boat is located.
Yes, we can provide round trip transportation from your hotel for an additional fee. At time of check-out, just add the transportation option and enter the name of your hotel.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED >>> Travis recommends arranging your hotel pick up with him and then for the return trip, once you are ready, just ask the Captain or crew member to help you get a taxi to take you back to your hotel.
VERY IMPORTANT! If you pre-arrange your return trip with Travis be sure to not miss your scheduled pick up!
Drivers have a schedule that must be strictly adhered to and therefore we do not recommend pre-arranging your return trip from the Marina to Hotel unless you have a large group and it’s absolutely necessary.
Reason’s you could miss your return transportation back to your hotel.
- If you are late returning back to the dock or if you want to eat your catch at the Marina restaurant, or if you are waiting for your fish to be cleaned, the driver will not be able to wait for you.
- If you get seasick and want to come back early, the driver will not be there and you will have to wait at the marina until your driver arrives or you can grab a taxi to take you back.
If you are doing a 6 hour trip from 7am-1pm, your transport will be ready and available between 1-130pm. If you are not at the same place where the driver dropped you off within that window, you will miss your transport and still be responsible for the payment.
Sometimes we can be flexible and change the time on the fly if need be but it is your responsibility to communicate with Travis and the Captain what your intentions are and if you know you are coming back to the marina early or late, you must contact Travis or tell the Captain to contact Travis so that he can try to get the driver to change the pick up time.
The last thing you want to be thinking about is if your driver will be there waiting for you while you’re fighting the fish of your life!
Just ask the Captain or Crew to assist you in getting a taxi and they will gladly help you out. Luckily, each marina is conveniently located near major roads in tourist areas and there are plenty of taxis ready to take you back to your hotel.
PROS & CONS of using hotel taxi vs. pre-arranging private transport with Travis
PROS of using Travis’ private pre-arranged transportation…
- The driver know’s exactly where to take you and is familiar with where the boats are so it takes the guess work out of the equation.
- The price is set and will not change and you will not have to argue or haggle with the price.
- If you are early or late for your return trip back to the hotel, you could still be responsible for paying the transportation and then you will have to grab a taxi. (Captain or Crew member can and will assist)
- It will be slightly more expensive than taking a taxi from the hotel, typically around 15% more. Travis calls this the “Convenience Factor”. Take the worry out of figuring out where the marina is and haggling with taxi drivers or price increase because the taxi can’t find the marina.
So, If you are arranging your own transportation, there will be an address and Google map link in your confirmation email as well as instructions once you arrive at the marina.
If you would like for Travis to arrange your one-way or roundtrip transportation, please select the transportation option at time of checkout while making your reservation.
After your reservation is made, Travis will contact you with a quote for the transportation and you can decide if you’d like to proceed with scheduling your transport. A lot of times, the hotels have taxis available and sometimes it can be slightly cheaper than arranging outside transportation.
If Travis arranges your transportation, once you check in to your hotel you need to do 2 things.
- Ask the front desk or concierge where guests get picked up for tours ie. which lobby or entrance etc.. Please let Travis know.
- Also please send Travis your room #. This is for security purposes to prevent random drivers entering the hotel. The hotel’s require drivers to know the guest’s room number in order to enter the hotel security checkpoint to pick you up.
The most common species offshore here are Sailfish, Mahi Mahi, Wahoo, Blackfin Tuna, Grouper, Snapper, Amberjack, Yellow-Jack, Horse-eyed jack, Barracuda, King-fish, Trigger fish.
- Sailfish – Dec. – June
- Marlin – Summer time (rare)
- Mahi Mahi – Summer time (April – September)
- Wahoo – (Nov. – Feb.)
- Grouper, Snapper, Barracuda, Trigger we catch year-round.
Fishing conditions change day to day and weather/sea conditions are a major factor in determining where we can go and what we will target.
Unless you are coming to Cancun for the sole purpose of catching a specific trophy species, I wouldn’t worry too much about what you’re going to catch.
Trust me when I say this, “My self, my Captain’s and Crew’s want to catch the biggest, baddest and highest quantity of fish possible”. Just come on board and the Captain will let you know your options based on weather conditions and whats biting and together you can make a plan of action for the day. It’s your trip and you can do whatever you would like to do and fish however you would like.
We are lucky to be able to catch pretty much the same species year round but there are some months that we are better than others for certain species.
Yes! However, since each boat is in a different location, please just ask the Captain where you can take your fish to have it prepared. Some boats have a restaurant at the marina and some do not and you will need to take a taxi to a restaurant that the Captain suggests.
If you want to take the fish to your hotel to have it prepared there, please check with the Chef of the hotel to ensure it’s okay, you don’t want to bring fish back to the hotel just to find out they won’t prepare it for you.
Whatever fish you do not take, the Captain and Crew will divide it between themselves to share with their families and friends. No fish goes to waste!
We do not assist with fish shipping back home. The best fish is fresh fish and we recommend that you have your fresh fish prepared for you the same day or day after your trip if you have the ability to keep it cold.
- Cancellations less than 7 days before your trip are non-refundable.
- If you don’t show up for your trip, you will not be issued a refund. (NO SHOW, NO REFUND)
- There are no refunds once you leave the dock if you get sea sick or if you think the seas are too rough. We will advise you before the trip on sea conditions.
- Deposits are refundable due to cancellations because of Port Closure due to foul weather conditions. (The weather can still be rough but if the port is open, the trip will remain on schedule but ultimately will be up to the Captain to cancel the trip for bad weather for everyone’s safety.)
- Also, you will receive a full refund if the trip is canceled due to an issue with the boat.
*Boats sometimes break down or have mechanical issues that are unexpected. 9 times out of 10 we have a back up boat ready in-case this happens. The back up boat is not always the same price, therefore we will send photos and pricing of new boat and let you decide what you would like to do.
- You will have up to 7 days before the trip to cancel for any personal reasons. For any and all refunds there is a 10% administrative fee for payment processing.
If there is bad weather, Captain Travis will let you know a few days before the trip what the weather is looking like. If the weather is bad we will try to reschedule you for a better weather day. If the weather is going to be bad for the duration of your trip, we will have to cancel the trip. If we cancel for bad weather you will be refunded in full minus 10% of your deposit for admin fees and wire transfer costs.
There are so many things to take into consideration when choosing a fishing charter in Cancun. Captain Travis has built his business around customers’ wants, needs and expectations and Capt. Travis & Don Chingon Charters will check every box.
Get what you paid for and get what you want!
- YOU WANT to go on the best fishing charter in Cancun with tournament winning Captains and Crews. Capt. Travis’ fleet is run by the best of the best in Cancun Fishing.
- YOU WANT to go fishing on the best possible weather day! When booking with Capt. Travis, he always will give you a heads up about the weather and let you know if we need to reschedule your trip for a better weather day or if we need to cancel the trip and refund your money. Other companies will send you out in bad weather and just say oh well, bad luck.
You are a paying client that deserves attention to detail and clear communication!
- YOU NEED to coordinate your trip with an English Speaking Experienced Logistics Coordinator to ensure you are where you need to be and when you need to be there!
- YOU NEED to book your trip with the most technologically advanced, user friendly reservation system to ensure all of your details are correct and that your deposits and payments are secured, protected and refundable. Capt. Travis utilizes the top reservation software in the industry to ensure there are absolutely no errors in your reservation.
You will receive an automated email confirmation with your trip details, remaining balance, boat meeting point and arrival instructions and more!
The system also prevents double bookings so that you get the day you want when you want it!
Travis and the team at Don Chingon Charters strives to exceed your expectations!
- YOU EXPECT to be treated with the utmost respect and professionalism when booking your trip and while on the boat.
- YOU EXPECT top notch communication and lightning quick responses to your calls, texts and emails regarding your trip! You will experience that kind of communication the first time you reach out to Captain Travis.
- YOU EXPECT to pay the agreed upon price at time of reservations with no hidden fees or last minute surprises.
- YOU EXPECT your trip to go as smoothly as possible and that’s exactly what Capt. Travis offers to his clients!
- YOU EXPECT your expectations to be met and Captain Travis and team do! If the weather is bad, he will tell you and give you the option to reschedule or refund. You won’t find that with other charter companies.
Captain Travis has coordinated thousands of fishing trips and he has the answers and solutions to any and every question or problem you may have. From the very first email or call you make, you will be dealing directly with Capt. Travis and he will be there for you each step along the way to help set up the perfect fishing trip for you and your friends and family.
You will depart the hotel in the morning whether it be by taxi or pre-arranged transport with us… (more about transportation) And you will arrive to the marina where the Capt. and or representative of the company will greet you. You will then be asked to (pay the balance) of the trip at this time. You will board the boat and the Capt. and Crew will introduce themselves and you will be able to speak with the captain to make a plan for the day based off of the previous days fishing report, weather/sea conditions as well as the length of your trip will all be factors in what the plan of the day will be and which fish you’ll target and where you will go. If you prefer a certain style of fishing or if your looking for a certain species, just tell the captain and he will advise you on what the options could be.
After you get acquainted with the Capt., and Crew, you will head out to a shallow area to troll sabiki to catch hardtail for live bait. Finding bait is never guaranteed, as well as the time to find them and catch enough. It can take 5 min to an hour sometimes but its well worth it to have some live bait in your arsenal once your offshore. After you find and catch some live blue runners, you will continue your way to deeper water, to the hunting grounds.
You will get to experience the different styles and fishing techniques commonly used in our area like trolling, live bait, drifting, bottom fishing and jigging! I would always recommend taking the Captain’s advice but if you prefer a certain style of fishing, please feel free to tell the Captain what you would like to do and he will make it happen.
The Captain will always have the final say when it comes to safety but you’re paying for this trip so we will cater to you in every way possible. Talk with the captain once you arrive at the boat and he will let you know what has been biting and what he recommends and together you can make a plan if you have any fishing style preferences or bucket list fish you are wanting to target.
After you return to the marina, please let the Captain know what you would like to do with the fish. Your options are….
- Give it to the crew for them to split up and share amongst their friends and family. The crew always appreciates bringing fish home for their families.
- Have some fish fileted and cooked at the restaurant at the dock/marina.
- Take the fish home with you.
After you eat or have your filets and you are ready to go, you are finished with your adventure and you can head back to your hotel.
Cancun is safe for tourists. The media hypes everything up and what you read on the internet is not always the real story, you have nothing to worry about as long as you stick to some basic rules:
- Don’t get super intoxicated and go somewhere you are unfamiliar with.
- Only trust reliable sources for information or help… Like me, Capt. Travis.
- Don’t Buy Drugs
- Just be smart and aware of your surroundings just as you would anywhere else.
That’s all you have to do to be careful in Cancun. Same as anywhere else back home in the States. However, you can trust in Don Chingon Charters and Capt. Travis to provide a 100% safe and secure adventure for you and your group.
You may take the fish home with you in your checked or carry on if you would like but I recommend being fully prepared for this which includes some needed supplies.
Airlines require everything to be 100% leak-proof and the supplies listed below will help you achieve this.
- Suran/Plastic wrap to wrap the individual filets to prevent freezer burn and leaks.
- Gallon size ziploc freezer bags.
- Medium sized soft insulated cooler bag
- Freezable gel packs
*Also, you must have a way to FREEZE and STORE your FISH!
I recommend checking with the hotel if they can assist you before going through all the trouble bringing the supplies down here. *We do not assist in freezing or prepping your fish so this is all up to you if this is what you’d like to do.
I can only speak for myself and my experience when flying to Texas with my properly frozen and packed filets. I have done it many times and if you do it the right way your filets will stay frozen for up to 6-8 hours.
Try to bring as little as possible and if traveling in a group, try to consolidate everything into as few bags as you can. Some things to bring are…
- Long sleeve sport fishing polyester shirt with UV protection.
- Waterproof shoes or sandals
- Bathing Suit
- Rain Jacket if forecasts say there’s a chance of rain
- Cash for tips and/or taxis
- Towels in the winter time if you plan to get in the water
- Snacks if you would like